Friday, October 19, 2007

Another Voice Heard From

Hello my Santa Marta mission amigos. I go to this spot often to see if anyone has added anything new and I am so appreciative of those of you who have written such beautiful and heartfelt entries. Its been three weeks and I can't seem to let go of this experience. Nor do I want to.

I will add a few of the entries from my personal journal in the hopes that you'll be encouraged to share your feelings and stories as well...

We are screening patients for surgery. He is 15 years old. He looks about 10. He smiles shyly,
giving me a sidelong glance. He says something in Spanish to his Aunt. She translates, "He thinks you are beautiful." I am flattered and respond, "Ooooh, how sweeet." She continues...
"He thinks everyone who doesn't have a cleft lip is beautiful." I am humbled. My heart is aching. I see a beautiful human being in front of me. I am thrilled that, with our help, this 15 year old young man will look in a mirror and finally see himself as beautiful too.

1 comment:

Elaine B. Suderio-Tirone, RN said...

This is heavy..Mar. Hit me (and I am sure everyone else) to the very core. And by the way, you are beautiful. :-) Thanks for everything you are.